The Acacias was built with Bath stone facing in 1818 for a coal and salt merchant so it was known locally as Salt Box Hall. The house was sold to a Mary Wienholt in 1821 and bought by George Palmer in 1863. The Palmers held many open afternoons for local school children in the garden. Over time they acquired the whole estate, some of which had been owned by the Sutton family and used as a seed nursery. In 1897, George’s son Alfred inherited the estate and in 1904 he generously leased it to the University College.
The house was donated for use by staff as a Senior Common Room and this use is maintained today.
The Friends donated £1,500 in 1985 for landscaping at Acacias.