Built in 1905, the Great Hall is used for ceremonial occasions such as degree days. It is also used for examinations, so please keep the noise down in this area.
Donations from The Friends of the University:
1932 £25 for a clock in the Great Hall. It is still in place but nowadays is often stopped if there is no activity in the Hall as its mechanism is frail.
1954 £250 Stage equipment and lighting (for the Guild of the Red Rose, a student organisation which ran an annual event called Jantaculum)
1996 £4,000 refurbishment of the Great Hall organ
£1,746 Lectern carving
2001 Great Hall music stands
2008 £290 Folding podium (for Music)
2009 £3,000 Lectern
The Friends have also sponsored concerts in the Great Hall